elementary school level
Samite will design a program with any of the following components:
- Samite’s school-wide multi-media performance will provide opportunities for students to experience his music instruments, rhythms and melodies of East Africa.
- Students will learn to sing Samite’s songs and have the opportunity to play his traditional African instruments, such as the kalimba, and madinda. In addition to these instruments, Samite will sing and perform on the litungu and flute.
- Students may create original compositions with Samite in a workshop setting. They may use traditional and electronic instruments to create, perform and record this music with Samite.
- Students will improvise and create dance movements based on Samite’s music.
- Students will gain an understanding of the cultural features of East African music and the importance of music within Samite’s culture through his multimedia presentation and interactions with him.
- Specifically students will gain an understanding of the foods, methods of transportation, education and housing.
- Students will be entertained by Samite’s animal photographs from East Africa.
- Through his stories, Samite helps students to understand some of the cultures of East and West Africa, while sharing his unique perspective as someone who grew up in Uganda and has traveled extensively across East and West Africa.